The impact of cyber-crime in India is far-reaching affecting individuals, businesses and the overall socio-economic fabric of the nation. Cyber-crime refers to criminal activities that are carried out online targeting individuals, organisations or even governments. These crimes encompass a wide range of malicious activities including hacking, identity theft, online scams, cyber bullying and the spread of malware.
The rise of cyber-crime poses a significant challenge to India’s advancement in the digital era. India being a global technology hub is not immune to the dangers of cyber-crime. Recognising and addressing this menace is essential to protect individuals, organisations and national interests. To tackle this growing menace the Indian government has established the ‘National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal.’ This portal serves as a platform for individuals to report cyber crimes and seek assistance from law enforcement agencies. Reporting an online scam on this portal is a crucial step in combating cyber fraud and bringing the perpetrators to justice.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to report an online scam on the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal:
- Open your web browser and navigate to the official website of the portal: https://cybercrime.gov.in.
2. Once you’re on the homepage look for the ‘File a complaint’ button and click on it.
3. On the next page you will be presented with the terms and conditions. Make sure to read and understand them before proceeding. After that click on the checkbox to accept the terms and conditions.
4. Now click on the ‘Report other cybercrime’ button.
5. You will be given two options: ‘citizen login’ and ‘police login’. Since you’re an individual reporting a cybercrime select the ‘citizen login’ option.
6. Provide the required details including your name, email address and phone number. Fill in all the mandatory fields accurately.
7. Once you have filled in the necessary information an OTP (One-Time Password) will be sent to the phone number you provided. Enter the OTP in the designated field.
8. Complete the captcha verification by entering the characters shown in the image.
9. After verifying the OTP and captcha click on the ‘submit’ button to proceed.
10. On the next page you will be able to provide detailed information about the cyber-crime you wish to report. Fill in all the relevant details including the nature of the scam, the fraudulent website or platform involved, any financial losses incurred and any other pertinent information that can assist law enforcement agencies in their investigation.
(It is crucial to provide as much accurate and specific information as possible to help the authorities in their efforts to combat cyber crime.)
11. Finally review all the details you entered to ensure accuracy and click on the ‘submit’ button.
(Here you will be directed to an incident details page. Provide details and supporting evidence of the crime. (screenshots or files etc.)
12. Click on ‘save and next.’
(The next page needs information about the alleged suspect if available. Fill in the details if you have any.)
13. Verify the information and click on the ‘submit’ button.
By reporting an online scam on the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal you are not only protecting yourself but also contributing to the larger fight against cyber fraud. This proactive approach helps in creating awareness, preventing further scams and holding the criminals accountable for their actions. Remember timely reporting is crucial to ensure swifter action and a more effective response from law enforcement. Stay vigilant and make use of the available resources to keep cyber-security threats at bay.
The Bolo Grahak platform is a powerful tool that is dedicated to consumer awareness and safety. By providing valuable information about all types of scams and cyber-crimes it empowers individuals to protect themselves and their finances from fraudulent activities. Follow our blogs for more and comment here if you have faced such experiences ever. This collaborative approach strengthens the community’s understanding and preparedness in dealing with scams. So, let’s join hands with Bolo Grahak and together we can create a safer environment for all consumers.